Treatment of glaucoma
ABOUT THE TREATMENTGreen Star Glaucoma of the eye is caused most often by high intraocular pressure. When left untreated, it may result in impaired spatial vision, narrowing of the visual field, or even blindness. Early treatment can slow or stabilize the disease, but it cannot completely eliminate it. The goal of the treatment is to reduce this pressure.
At iClinic, we treat glaucoma with the SLT method. It uses a short laser beam targeted at cells that contain the pigment melanin. Thanks to the energy generated by the laser, these cells die out without damaging the adjacent tissue. The eye drainage system will be remodeled and expanded, reducing intraocular pressure.
PROCEDUREThe procedure is preceded by a medical examination to determine the stage of the disease. The procedure itself is as follows:
- Approximately 30 minutes before the procedure, we will apply drops to narrow the pupil.
- We will numb your eye with anesthetic drops.
- A special lens will be applied to the cornea of the eye using a lubricant. Using the lens and an examination microscope, the doctor will focus the rays on the target tissue.
- Pulses of green light will act on the tissue. Melanin-containing cells will die out, which will improve the drainage of intraocular fluid by widening outflow pathways.
- After the procedure, the patient is given medication to prevent an increase in intraocular pressure.
- Visible results usually appear around the third day after surgery.
SLT METHOD ADVANTAGES:
- Painless procedure that takes place under local anesthesia
- Quick, only lasting a few minutes
- Do not requires a hospital stay
- The procedure is painless
- Can be repeated if necessary
- Rapid recovery
After glaucoma is treated with the SLT method, you may notice a temporary redness of the eye, a short increase in intraocular pressure, or mild inflammation. With the correct indication of this operation, we do not record any major postoperative complications.
RISKS & COMPLICATIONS
Fig. 1The flow of the intraocular fluid
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A CONSULTATION OR EXAMINATION?Make an appointment today