Diseases of the retina
RETINAL DETACHMENTA disease of the retina in the form of its detachment from the choroid is a very dangerous disease. The essence of the treatment is to reapply it and eventually remove the disease that causes it.
The course of the surgery
The course of the surgery is dependent on the type of retinal detachment. There are 3 types of treatments or their combination:
- Targeted laser photocoagulation of the retina
- External surgery - cerclage or buckling
- Intraocular surgery - pars plana vitrectomy.
DIABETIC RETINOPATHYThe disease arises in patients with diabetes and its symptom is an increased amount of glucose in the blood, which thus damages the delicate capillaries in the retina. If necessary, treatment starts immediately after the diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy.
The course of treatment using anti-growth factors (anti-VEGF)
The treatment takes place with the help of bevacizumab, ranibizumab, aflibercept. These are anti-growth factors, whose application to the vitreous of the eye has the effect of limiting the growth of blood vessels in the retina, the elimination of leakage and thereby reduced bleeding and reduced swelling.
- The eye is numbed using anaesthetic eye drops.
- 0.1 ml of substance is applied to the eye with a very thin injection.
- In order to achieve the optimum effect, we usually repeat the process three times six weeks apart. In the advanced forms of the disease, it is possible to repeat the injection after some time.
- After the injection the patient goes home and comes for a checkup after one month.
- Results in the form of reduced swelling already appear a week after surgery.
WHO IS THE TREATMENT SUITABLE FOREach patient with diabetes should make sure to have regular checkups in order to prevent the disease. In the case of a positive diagnosis of the disease, the doctor will decide on the appropriateness of treatment.
RISKS AND LIMITATIONSLike any medical intervention, treatment with growth factors may have post-operative complications. In particular, it may lead to eye pain, a temporary worsening of vision, higher intraocular pressure, vitreous haemorrhage and infection.
However, a single dose is not enough for the desired result; you need to undergo it at least three times in the span of 6 weeks, and thereafter as required. In about 10% of the cases it happens the patient does not respond to treatment at all.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A CONSULTATION OR EXAMINATION?Make an appointment today